Plantzania encourage educational institutes to adopt industrial visits as a value-added learning method for students. Learning from textbooks, lectures and other study material does not suffice for holistic learning. Practical, hands-on learning is essential for better understanding of work processes and business functions.
- For students pursuing professional education, industrial visits help them gain hands-on experience of how industry operations are executed.
- Industry visits bridge the gap between theoretical training and practical learning in a real-life environment.
- Industry visits provide opportunity for active/interactive learning experiences in-class as well outside the classroom environment.
- With industry visits, students are able to better identify their prospective areas of work in the overall organizational function.
- Industry visits help enhance interpersonal skills and communication techniques.
- Students become more aware of industry practices and regulations during industry visits.
- Industry visits broaden the outlook of students with exposure to different workforces from different industries.
Programme of the day:
1. Industrial Talk
• Briefing about the biotechnology industry and the related practices and operations.
• Five sector: biosciences, agribiotech, medical, aquaculture and Halal.
• Q & A session
• Takes around 30 mins
2. Plant Tissue Culture Lab Tour and Workshop
• Plant tissue culture lab – cutting-edge in vitro plant propagation technology
• Hands-on experiment: handling the explants
• Takes around 1 hour
3. Lab Tour (Demonstration of using testing kit)
• Molecular biology lab – DNA related kit production
• Halal testing lab – JAKIM Halal panel lab
• Takes around 1 hour
1. Farm trip to Paulownia Research Farm, Herb Farm
• Learn what is agribiotech
• A real exposure on the farming / afforestation industry
• Learn how the seedlings from tissue culture lab is transferred to real planting environment
• An introduction to exotic plants: vanilla, red gac, orchids, etc…
• An introduction to fertigation system
2. Moshi Mushi Mushroom Farm Visit
• An introduction to mushroom cultivation industry
3.A) DNA Lecture and DNA Extraction Workshop
• To develop understanding of DNA by modelling the process of DNA extraction.
B) Gel Electrophoresis Workshop
• To understand Gel electrophoresis and how to analysis result using molecular biology way.
C) PCR Lecture and PCR Workshop
• To understand PCR and how to do PCR.
D) Analysis of Gel Results
E) Introduction and Demonstration of Vu Imaging Machine